Hanukkah Tradition 2016 - Hanukkah has some traditions and customs associated with their source in the past. Some have developed from the earlier trends. Here, we have tried to describe the entire culture and traditions of Hanukkah and its history behind it.
Hanukkah History and Traditions
Long ago, there lived a king named Antiochus, the king of Syria, he ruled people all over the world to quit their religion and follow his religion as he didn’t like people worshipping other God.
- During this era, he and his army conquered Israel and proclaimed that Israel was under his control. He confessed that the beautiful temple of Jerusalem would be destroyed or converted along with the entire Jewish temples. The king made people declare that they will overthrow their religion and customs and follow his belief. He also concluded whoever tries to deny his order will be severely punished.
- Many people accepted his religion out of fear; among few were Judah and his brothers, who fought against the Syrian army and succeeded in defeating the Syrian king and regaining the temple of Jerusalem.
- After reclaiming the temple, they found that the temple was totally messy. Judah and some people started cleaning the temple by removing Antiochus statue and few symbols of his belief.
- They were in need of oil to lighten the oil lamp to produce light continuously for a period. After searching for a long time and found a very tiny container of oil, which would last only for one night. But the miracle took place; the oil lamp lasted for eight nights and day instead of one night.
Remembrance of this miracle and triumph of their religion, Jewish celebrate this festival called Hanukkah 2016 – the festival of light.
Traditions of Hanukkah
Many Jewish all around the world celebrate Hanukkah as a traditional festival by Jewish people all over the world. During this festival, they follow all the tradition to celebrate Hanukkah. All these traditions give imperative meaning and significance to the festival. We have brought you the complete details of all the major traditions of Hanukkah.
- Hanukkah traditional food
- Hanukkah traditional gifts
- Hanukkah traditional game
- Lighting the menorah
Hanukkah traditional food – Similar to other festivals, Hanukkah has some traditional food, it is customary to eat fried food or baked one. It's Preferable to use olive oil to cook.
Potato latkes, Sufganiot, and brisket are traditional foods of Hanukkah festival. Cookies and salad are very famous among kids.
Traditional Hanukkah Cookies
As it’s customary to eat baked dishes, people bake cookies as a traditional dessert. Many people bake list of cookies for kids. During Hanukkah period, parents also teach their children to bake cookies .kids bake cookies with the variety of shapes by using cookies cutter.
Hanukkah Shaped Cookies
- Flour -1 cup
- Sugar- 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence - Few drops
- Butter - ¾ cup
- Jam or food color or dry fruits - Optional
- In a large bowl, add altogether all the dry ingredients.
- Then add few drops of essence and knead the dough using butter or vegetable oil (now you can add food color).
- Give shape using cookies cutter. Bake cookies and decorate as per your wish. (You can use buttercream, jam, icing sugar or dry fruits to decorate your yummy cookies)
- Traditional Hanukkah Salad.
Though all recipes are not exactly traditional, they are related to the history of Jewish cuisine. People have come up with the variety of dishes by keeping in mind of Jewish tradition.
Best Hanukkah Salad with Olive Oil
- Olive oil - three tablespoons
- Lime juice - three tablespoons
- Honey - one tablespoon
- Celery root - one large
- Pomegranates - 2
- Salt - To taste
- Take a bowl and whisk honey, lime juice, olive oil, and a pinch of salt.
- Clean and wash the celery root and chop off the hard outer layer. Grate the celery root into the dressing using the large holes on a grater.
- Cut thin slices all over the pomegranate, breakdown and open along the slices. Take out the seeds and add them to the celery root. Toss up until the pomegranate and celery root coat well with the dressing.
- Finally, add salt to taste (optional)
Hanukkah Traditional Gifts
During this festival, People share Gifts as per tradition “Gelt” which means Money. According to the historical period, Jews give gelt to poor, children’s and teacher. In the modern period, gifts are shared as Gelt such as chocolate gelt or Gelt for playing Dreidel. Gifts are always surprising and fun to exchange among families and friends.
Hanukkah Traditional Game
Dreidel is a traditional game of Hanukkah. On each side of the Dreidel, you’ll find the Hebrew letters, which describe “A great miracle happened there,” here it refers to the miracle of the oil. Start the Dreidel game with the proper goods, which include 10 or 15 coins for each player (real or chocolates). Place a single coin in the center pot. Let the first player spin the Dreidel. Once the Dreidel falls, look to see which side faces up. Instruct each of the players to either give up a portion of his or her coins or take a coin from the pot, based on the below code
• Nun means "nothing" – no coins
• Hey means "half"– take half of the pot
• Gimel means "all" take everything in the pot
• Shin means "put in" – put one coin in the pot
• Keep playing until one person has all of the coins.
Lighting the Menorah
Hanukkah Tradition 2016 - As Hanukkah 2016, is known as a festival of lights, people all around the world celebrate this festival remembering the miracle of light (oil to produce light). Jews light the menorah for eight days and night. To know more about lighting the menorah follows this link given below. Hope, you find our article helpful. Don’t forget to share our page with your loved ones.